The temperature is rising as the week rolls along,
30 today (86F) 38 tommorow (100F) and 40 Friday (104F) and back to 34 Saturday (93F)
It’s a good time to be a hermit which I confess I am in January. Apart from two walks around the corner to our little shop for mail/paper/milk I have not left the property since Christmas eve!!! Bliss.
My little studio is not airconditioned but it’s still quite pleasant in here, not sure how I’ll feel by this afternoon :-0
On Saturday Irene and Jenn came over, the three of us had not had a chance to get together to talk about what we want to do through the year, singly as well as collectively. So it was a meeting of Turn Left for Harmony, all meetings should be like this.
I am ticking things off that list of ‘summer jobs’, one was to make the remaining three cushions of my intended set of four.
Possibly it is 18 months or two years since I made the first cushion, but happily all four are now made, tick.
Work through the steps for making Perfect Bias Stems, 1/8″ wide using a set of laminated instructions purchased in Houston from
Previously I just made a 1/4″ stem with the bias maker and folded it in half but the bulk was less than ideal.
Amidon Quiltworks sells a two sided laminated instruction sheet for Perfect Bias Stems designed by P3Designs and the sample stem Amidon gave me was 1/8″, perfectly bendy and flat. Granted it was made with Batik and that is tightly woven and does behave itself well, but I was keen to have a crack at it.
I followed all the steps (20) carefully, it has been well thought out and I won’t show too much as it is copyrighted to P3Designs.
I used an RJR Smithsonian fabric, Stem #1 worked well but I was a little disappointed in the fabric wastage, for the next stem I altered the instructions slightly to compensate. It is a little bit fiddly (but these are skinny stems) but after making the six stems I needed I had worked out where I could minor tweak what is a very good method devised by P3.
My stems actually ended up being 1/8″ to 3/16″ wide, but I know where I went wrong and perhaps the coarser weave had something to do with it too but I don’t use Batiks so the method needs to work for my fabrics.
The Verdict… I am happy, but could be a bit happier, with the results and the stems are not bulky. I’ll use this method again.
So what’d I do with those stems?
LOL, started a new quilt of course
This morning I started chooosing the flowers, it will be Broderie Perse for those, and settled on carefully selecting flowers from (but felt like hacking in to) the panel from the 1810 Chintz Medallion, Virginia Quilt Museum range by Quilting Treasures. Luckily I had two as I needed to cut in to them both to get the flowers I needed.
As is typical with me, I really don’t know what this will be nor how big, I’m just having fun with it for now.
I didn’t plan for a butterfly in this block but as the panel had one I thought I might as well use it
Off to clean up the table and then play some more before, it’s now mid afternoon and the temp is still OK in here.
Thanks for dropping by